The Spirit of Nelson

Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Beginning of Greatness

Our solid friends Chris and Holly (who have a son, cousin Carter) sent out a letter on our behalf last week that updated people on Nelson's condition and provided them with an opportunity to help out with Nelson's already enormous and mounting vet bills. Sherrie, Nelson's beloved foster Mom from the Washington Humane Society, wrote back with a suggestion for fundraising and reminded me of Nelson's beginnings:

Subject: Nelson
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 07:20:19 -0400

Hey, NY:

I have an idea that may or may not be something you can do. How about having the Post or the City Paper do a story about Nelson; how he and his siblings were found in Fort DuPont Park after their mother had been captured by the WHS; how she led them back to her babies after a neighbor told WHS employees that she had pups; they took her back to the park on a leash and she took them right to her babies. I have a photo of the four of them standing at my back door staring through the security gate that is really cute. Maybe this would help with raising money. I had an email from my friend Melissa who used to work at WHS and she didn't think there would be much they could do. I haven't heard back from the two people I emailed yet but I'll let you know when I do. Anyway, just an idea.

Talk to you later.

Sherrie


We haven't contacted either newspaper yet, but we should soon. I'd love to see that picture of Nelson and his brothers. I love this story.

We wanted to put pictures of Nelson as a puppy (he was 7 weeks old when we got him, round, and only 8 lbs!), but they are all old skool photos that are not digitized. So instead here's a pic of Nelson on the new futon in our current apt on Harvard St. This photo was taken sometime in November 2005:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home